Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Sweet Surprise

The sweet Jamie, over at Sixth Grade Tales, was kind enough to nominate me for a Liebster Award, a blogger to blogger award to recognize new blogs with less than 200 followers. I am so happy that someone is noticing my little pet project. It's always good to get a little appreciation, right? As part of accepting, I have 11 questions that Jamie made up for to answer as a little Q&A and some random facts for you. At the end, I will nominate five more blogs for this award to keep the good vibes going. To accept my nomination, you must answer my 11 questions for you, share about yourself, and nominate fellow new bloggers. Don't forget to contact them!


Jamie's questions for me:

1.  What is your best advice for starting a new school year?

Develop a good organizational system that works for you. Worrying about where things are and how to find something should not be an issue when you have 30+ kiddos.

2.  What is your favorite book for professional development and why?


"When Kids Can't Read" by Kylene Beers has to be my favorite. It is full of strategies, examples, and student work samples to help all students, especially those significantly below grade level.

3.  How do you deal with giving homework? Is it the same each week?


Knowing the students I teach, homework does not get done. Our school assigns very, very little homework due to access issues.

4.  If you weren't a teacher, what profession would you be in?
I would be a designer of some sort...just not fashion!

5.  What is your favorite thing to cook?
My homemade spaghetti sauce --it's a family recipe!

6.  Outside of teaching, what do you like to do for fun?


I love to craft. There is nothing that scrapbook paper and modge podge can't fix!

7. What is your favorite place to shop?
Target...for sure!

8.  What is your favorite educational website?
Oh my, there are too many!

9.  What kind of music do you like to listen to?
I'm not complaining...unless it's country.

10.  What is your favorite television show?
Criminal Minds.

11. What book do you love reading with your students the most?
I love reading The Giver and Number the Stars. I love Lois Lowry!

11 Random Facts about myself:

1. My favorite color is green, but my classroom is blue, white, and black.
2. I love going to baseball games, but I hate watching them on TV.
3. One day, I hope to be an advocate for better educational policies in the government.
4. I love technology, but nothing can replace the way a book feels in your hands.
5. I like to try my hand at cooking new things, but I'm always scared to try them.
6. I'm a Target addict, I always look at their home organization stuff, but sometimes it is just too expensive!
7. I love coffee, but I got way too many coffee cups for Christmas from students!
8. Teaching is the hardest thing I've ever done, but I have loved every minute with my students.
9. I dream that one day I will be able to purchase an older home that I can fix up.
10. Someone once told me that I was too much of an idealist when it came to education, I want to prove them wrong.
11. I think it's really awkward to come up with things that you want other people to know about you!

My Liebster Nominees are:
Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'
Life with Middle Schoolers
The Learning Chambers
Creating Lifelong Learners
The Adventures of Room 83


My 11 Questions for my Liebster Nominees:
1. What made you decide you wanted to be a teacher?
2. What was the hardest thing about your first year?
3. The funniest thing a child ever said to me was...
4. If you could change one thing about your school, it would be...
5. What's your favorite hobby?
6. Tell me three things you couldn't live without.
7. Where would you go on your dream vacation?
8. What was the most valuable advice you ever received?
9. What classroom supply will you NOT share with your students?
10. What color pen do you grade with?
11. If someone gave you a grant to help start a school, what would you name it?

Special thanks to Colleen from Tales from the Third Grade, Angelica from Fourth Grade at the Beach
, and Lisa from Grade 4 Buzz for their nominations too! Jamie got to me first, so I decided to go with her questions, but I really appreciate your thoughts!


1 comment :

  1. My school does little homework too(only Reading). I love it! I do not like country either and my other half LOVES it; he says I'm in charge on the tunes in my own vehicle, not his. UGH! I feel the same way about baseball! Congratulations on your Liebster!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete